Monday, January 17, 2011

Hot & Sour Soup

This one was kind of fun because I had no clue where to find half the ingredients at Publix. Thank you whoever invented the shopping carts with kids seats and steering wheels! Had it not been for Aedyn's ability to drive, this shopping trip could have been a nightmare, because heaven forbid I ask for help finding anything! This is definitely a "to taste" recipe, so I'm giving points to start from and then an approximation of what I did.

Ingredients:
Serves: 6 if served as main dish, more if accompanied by stir-fry or something else.

- 1lb firm tofu, cubed
- 2 cups broth (beef, chicken, or veggie)
- 2 cups water
- 1 package fresh sliced mushrooms (canned or jarred would probably be ok too)
- 1 can bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce 
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar (add more later) I used 3.5 -4 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (add more later) I used 1/2 tbsp
- 1 tsp garlic salt (add more later) This I wasn't sure about so I just added it to my own bowl and told Jake he would need to add it to his as well.
- 1 bag fried egg noodles


Directions:
Prep time: 10 min
Total time: 4 - 9 hours

1. Combine everything in 4qt crockpot
2. Cook on Low for 7-9 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
3. Taste about half way through and then shortly before you serve. Add more rice vinegar for more "sour", more pepper for "hot", more garlic salt for "something missing"
4. Serve with fried egg noodles as garnish. 

 

Original recipe at A Year of Slow Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment