Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu (Soup?)

Well...it tasted good, but definitely didn't turn out the way it should've. I found a recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu. Yum! Well...I altered it a little, but I don't think the alteration was my main problem. I used bacon instead of ham; not sure exactly what was going on in my brain that made me think that a recipe that calls for covering the meat in soup would yield crispy bacon wrapped around chicken breasts, but yeah, somehow that's what I was thinking when I put it all together this morning. I think my biggest issue was letting it cook too long. It was on low for about 7 hours, the chicken was so tender that is was falling apart, no staying wrapped with the bacon and cheese. I used the appropriate amounts of soup and milk, but I think it was really too much for the style crock pot I have. Or maybe this just isn't a good recipe for a deep, round six qt...maybe an oval, shallower 6 qt is necessary. Anyway, it tastes good, it's just more of a shredded chicken in creamy, cheesy, bacon soup than your tradition cordon bleu.

Here's how I made it...if you have any ideas on how to fix it (besides not letting it cook so long) feel free to share!

Ingredients:
Serves: 8
- 8 Chicken Breast pounded flat, or chicken breast filets(these are already thinner, so you can guess which one I went for)
- 1 lb Provalone slices
- 1 lb bacon (or ham slices)
- 2 cans cream of chicken and mushroom soup (or cream of whatever)
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream ( or any type of cream or milk)

Directions:
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 3-5 hours on Low; 6-8 on High

1. Spray Crockpot with cooking spray or oil
2. Lay out 1 or 2 slices of bacon or ham, stack on chicken and 2 slices of cheese. Roll up.
3. Place rolled meat in the crockpot seam down, stagger the layers
4. Pour in soup and cream/milk
5. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours; High for 3-5...until Chicken is cooked through.

6. Enjoy! I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment